The Fire Marshal says firefighters put the flames out within 10 minutes and no one was injured. Officials say the fire was accidental: it started due to a malfunctioning furnace in the basement.
The landlord says the structure is a single-family rental home that has been empty for the past month. The basement level is destroyed, but officials say the rest of the house is intact after facing heat and smoke damage.
"The damage was basically contained to the basement level where the furnace was. It did burn through the first floor, just smoke and heat damage throughout the rest of the house," says Jamie Rodeheaver, Sr. Deputy State Fire Marshal for the Washington region.
The investigating Fire Marshal estimates the fire damage to be around $10,000.