One of the schools that is helping out is Orchard Grove Elementary School. Fifth grade students have gathered items including clothing, canned goods, and blankets. The items will be given to the victims in New York and New Jersey. Over the past two days, the kids gathered nearly 200 items. Their drive continues until November 20th.
"We are doing this because they basically need it, if we were in the same kind of crisis, they would definitely help us," says Kim Hernandez, 5th grader at Orchard Grove Elementary School.
Officials are encouraging residents to donate. Here are the schools contributing to the effort:
- Crestwood Middle School Student Council, collecting toiletries.
- Frederick High School Science Club, collecting money through November 16th for Red Cross relief efforts in New Jersey and New York.
- Myersville Elementary, collecting clothing and supplies for Crisfield, Maryland residents. Students are collecting school supplies, socks, underwear, toothbrushes and hygiene products through November 16th.
- Orchard Grove Elementary, collecting items through November 20th such as blankets, tarps, nonperishable food, diapers, toiletries and winter clothing.
- Urbana Elementary is sponsoring a drive for Red Cross donations through November 20th.
- Yellow Springs Elementary is collecting change for change through November 16th to donate to Red Cross Hurricane Sandy relief efforts.