But officials are urging residents to practice safety measures if using these machines.
The biggest danger is using it inside the home.
"Do not under any circumstances operate it inside or indoors," says Stephen Allen, director of Emergency Management. "Have outside clearly away from the facility or where ever you're going to run the electric in."
"The fumes are like the ones running from a car," says Dale Holmes, from the Home Depot. "It's carbon monoxide and it can kill you."
Most generators are not meant to run electricity to an entire home. They can only hold so much until they burn out
"Try to prioritize what you're going to need to use during any kind of a power outage," says Holmes.
"Most people have found that their main need is for refrigerators or an electric cool of some type," says Allem. "To keep those perishables in those during these times when there is a power outage."
Although generators can help keep food cool during power outages, health department officials say it's not always enough.
"The general rule of thumb is when in doubt throw it out," says Annastasia Zenner with the Washington County Health Department. "We like to say anything more than four hours out of temperature, that being warmer that 41 degrees, should be thrown out or discarded."
Health officials say once the power is out, all food will begin to thaw once the temperature goes over 41 degrees.
"If you don't have a thermometer placed inside your unit use a probe or digital thermometer and if it's 41 degrees or colder you can keep the food and refreeze using dry ice or block ice," says Zenner.
Safety officials also encourage residents to install carbon monoxide alarms in their home when using back-up generators.