Officials say the fire started around 9:30 p.m. Thursday August 23rd in the 200 block of Summit Avenue. The brothers, 4-year-old Landon and 5-year-old Braydon Berg, died while they were sleeping from smoke inhalation.
Fire officials say the blaze started at an electrical outlet adjacent to the boys bunk beds. They say the boys grandfather, Allen Berg, was alerted of the fire by a hallway smoke alarm and attempted to locate the boys in their room but was unable due to the thick black smoke he encountered.
Officials say the home had two working smoke alarms, one on each level, that were hardwired and interconnected and still sounding when firefighters entered.
Officials say having a smoke alarm on each level was compliant at the time the home was built. The National Fire Protection Association says to be completely protected, a home should have one smoke alarm on every level, one inside every sleeping room, and one outside of sleeping areas.
The Winchester Fire Department urges the community to test their smoke alarms monthly, change their batteries at least once a year, and replace all smoke alarms when they are 10 years old.