The Hearth, Patio and Barbecue Association is working to prevent burns from touching glass fronts on gas fireplaces and stoves.
According to the 2012 Hearth Consumer Survey, nearly 11 million households have a gas fireplace and are unaware of the risk of burns from the glass.
HPBA Communications Director Leslie Wheeler told WHAG: "Number one, be sure to supervise your children and number two, if there are children in the house, to put up a screen or barrier."
Some local store managers say many people do not realize how hot it can get.
"Lack of knowledge, lack of awareness," says Melissa Ellinger, Operations Manager at The Stop. "I think that if we would just take the time to maybe educate consumers a little bit more or just in the research process of things ... being more educated,"
While safety tips can be used as frequent reminders, there is no substitute for supervision. The HPBA says gas fireplaces require at least 45 minutes to cool down.
The new standard will require all gas-fired, certified fireplaces manufactured after January 1, 2015 to include a safety screen.
"The screens are an option. They're available. I think more or less the awareness of the stove being there, being hot, the potential to burn. Just there again, just the education and knowledge and awareness of the stove," adds Ellinger.
The fireplace industry is in the process of developing these new models and testing for their safety. They strongly encourage everyone to visit Safe Fireplace Tips before operating a fireplace or a stove.