Fire officials say flames started inside the chimney then spread to the second floor and attic. Officials say the cause of the fire was the family burning a fire in an un-clean chimney with years of thick tar residue and build-up.
The family was waiting outside when firefighters arrived and no one was injured. The damage is estimated to be up to $5,000.
"You also need to burn dry wood. If you're not burning dry wood then that creates what is called "creosote," which builds up on your sides; it's just like closing in a hole to where it gets closed, and that's what happened here," says Brian Lowman, Deputy Chief with Williamsport Fire and EMS.
Fire officials say if your home has a chimney, it's crucial to clean it at least twice a year, especially just before the winter season when you're likely to use it most.